Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Making of “Siwang” a short film by Francis Cataquian

Francis “Kiko” Cataquian is a a close friend of mine. He is a professional photographer, mountaineer and an environmentalist. He recently graduated as a film director. Very inspired and motivated, he made his first short film called “Bangungot”. It can be watched on his website, http://www.deuxcats.blogspot.com. He has a great writer with him, Rodel Catapia. They got deuxcats from the first 3 letters of their family name.

One day, Kiko called me and offered me a role for his second short-film. My character will be “Arman”. Arman came from a poor family but they are kind hearted, the reason why Ellie (portrayed by Gian) fell in love. However, Ellie broke up with Arman. She is getting married and the film starts there. I don’t have any real experience in acting but I was excited and challenged to do it so I agreed right away. For me, it’s a new world to venture out. I always liked watching movies and TV series so I believed it wasn’t that hard. But not until I was on the spotlight.
The run time of this film will be about 15 minutes more or less. We shot the first part in Taal, Batangas. There we were amazed of the place and people. Almost every house are ancestral. They were preserved just like they were from the old times. It was late in the afternoon when we arrived on our friend’s house, Rach. Thanks to her and the residents of the house for welcoming us and allowing to shoot the film. They are very hospitable which every typical Filipino has. We set up the place, modified a fourth of the house. We only needed the place near the window.
It was about 9 in the evening where we finish everything. We didn’t want to cause too much trouble so we decided to rest on a place called “Sweet Dreams Motel”. We left the house and went for dinner at Mang Inasal in the town plaza. After stuffing our stomachs, we headed on to the motel and rented  two rooms. It wasn’t too bad and not too good either. It was a normal place for a province to have.  The night didn’t end there. We worked on my physical appearance. Trimmed my beard (sounds naughty ^_^), cleaned my wig and checked on the costumes. The girls took a bath. Joey further worked on the story board. We were also drinking brandy. I had a few and got too sleepy and went to bed earlier than the rest of them.
Next day, we woke up very early around 5 in the morning. It was still dark outside when we left. Went for breakfast on 7-11. Had some coffee, toasted bread and biscuits. We waited until it was 7am to make sure the residents are all awake. We didn’t start right away as we had to worked on some changes. Gian (the Actress) and I had to wear on the costumes and make-up. Role played very quick and off on to the spotlight.
It was very exciting but I was nervous that I will not give them a good acting. I was not too confident with my drama. But I tried hard and gave my best. I hope it was okay. Gian acts very well. I think she was born an actress. Rodel being the script writer and co-director, he guided us on how we should act. His acting prowess is great. Very natural and dramatic.
We had to take a lunch break. Since it was also the day where Pacquiao fights Juan Manuel Marquez. After eating we all went to the plaza where a live broadcast was being held. Crowd wasn’t high. We’re able to finish the fight and went off happy as Pacquiao was victorious. Somehow, it gave us inspiration and courage to do our best for the succeeding scenes.
We finished shooting the film in the evening at around 8pm. Had a group picture and showed gratitude to the residents for the warm hospitality they showed. First part was over and we went off home satisfied enough.
Second part was done at Kiko’s farm in Alfonso, Tagaytay. It is also the TNK’s (Tinawag Ng Kalikasan, “an organization of artists and mountaineers” founded by Kiko) camp headquarter. The shooting took all day. It was also the hardest part of my character where I had to show mix emotions of sadness, anger and show the audience I was also a victim. I was the first one to act and it was not good. But Gian, portrayed her character very well. I got carried away by her. I was motivated to do the next part on the car where I had to cry. My tears were almost coming out. But unfortunately, the camera lost battery power. Just when I had the moment for a good drama. We had to shoot that part another day. Morning came and it rained hard when it was a clear sky that night. Mother Earth just gave us enough time for the film. God is great.
All the scenes have been shot and and it is on post production. Sooner it will be finished within this month. We plan it to enter the Cinemalaya Film Fest. I hope it will be considered. Fingers crossed.
I would like to thank the following people who made this short film a success.
Francis “Kiko” Cataquian – Director
Rodel Catapia – Script Writer / Co-director
Geanne Paula Cristobal – Actress (Ellie)
Joey Tecson – Story board Artist
Edmundo Violante – Musical Director
Adrian Cabrera – Lights man / Boom man
Michael Viloria – Assistant Cameraman
Cristel Berenque – Wardrobe / Props / Costumes / Make-up Artist
Trailer


No comments:

Post a Comment