Wednesday, April 2, 2014

PICO DE LORO

Tinawag ng Kalikasan (Called by Nature) made a climb last June of 2011 with 2 new friends namely, Maycon and Jaymie. We met them in the office and fortunately they were seeking for adventure. At that time, I know they’re going through something and they needed to take their minds away from it. :)
Just a little background. Centuries ago, Pico de Loro was named by the Spaniards who came to Manila Bay and saw it’s shape like a parrot’s beak. The summit is a 360 degree view where one can see Mount Batulao and Talamitam on the south-eastern part. Considered as the highest mountain in Cavite.
We left the office around 10 in the morning.
Rode a bus to Baclaran and transferred to a bus going Tarnate, Cavite.
I slept through the entire travel time until we dropped off at Maragondon, Cavite near gasoline station.
I had a contact of a jeepney owner to take us to the jump off as there’s no other transportation that goes there than to rent one.
We haven’t had lunch so I asked Sir Roel if could get a stopover to eat and he brought us to their usual place where they eat.
As soon as we loaded ourselves with energy, we left immediately.
It was a rainy day that time because there was a typhoon coming. It was typhoon Falcon.
We got to magnetic hill and into the jump off.
We didn’t bother going to the Barangay to register as we figured it’d be a waste of time and so we started the trek.
At start, weather was nice. It wasn’t raining on that part.
However, as we go along, the rain started to downpour.
Trail was muddy and we were all soaking wet.
That was my first experience in the rain while climbing.
It was not bad as the temperature wasn’t hot but I feel very uncomfy.
I always like a blue sky. I don’t care how hot the weather is but I enjoy that.
So as we progressed, not sooner we reached campsite.
We scanned the area to look for a place to pitch our tents.
And we got one near a cliff.
So we prepared our dinner.
The food, our traditional dish “Bicol Express” that is way too hot compared to regular one.
It was drizzling when it was time to eat. So all 9 of us decided to eat inside our tent.
Inside the tent is like El NiƱo because of Bicol Express. All the boys are sweating especially me. Water constantly drips down on my face.
Then we had our socials. After a few drinks, I got so dizzy so I slept.
But after a few hours, the rain worsen. Falcon made it to us.
The other tent where the girls stayed got flooded so they transferred to ours.
We all sat down, crumpled like sardines. Most of us didn’t get a sleep.
But Adrian and Alfie who were on the tents door were unstoppable. They were able to sleep even if their feet is outside bathing in the rain.
Us inside are trying hard to rest. Sooner, I accepted that I will not be able to sleep no matter how hard I try so I stayed awake.
I encouraged them to play the famous “Pepe game” originated by KDL (King DJ Logan). The time flew by as we were laughing so hard. We didn’t even thought that there was a typhoon.
Inside the tent, we appreciated every little thing like stretching.
It was still raining when everyone are awake.
We started cooking our breakfast which is tuyo (dried fish), tomatoes, itlog na maalat (salted egg) and Bicol Express leftover.
After we finished eating, we started breaking our camp.
Our plan is to do a traverse so we have to get to the summit.
Getting to the top wasn’t easy. Especially on the clearing part where it’s difficult to cling on to something. No trees. Just small grasses. We had to crawl our way in.
But we all managed to get there.
The wind was heavy with rainfall. We didn’t spend too much time on the top and went down the other path as fast as possible as the rain and wind might get stronger. In fact, the wind was already strong that we all stayed low.
After few descend from the steep trail, we all got back into a mossy forest.
I was the expedition leader and was searching for the right track because I’ve read some mountaineers gets lost and ended up on the quarry area.
I was successful reaching the end of the trail where we got to Nasugbu, Batangas.
We tidied up at a local’s house which was also our service going to Bus terminal.
Sadly, we didn’t get a victory meal. We got into the bus and went home.
I’d rate this climb as 3 on a difficulty level of 5. If it wasn’t raining, I’d say this would be 2.
A very good experience in the rain but I’ll never gonna do it again. :)




I sweat so much as if I was in a sauna.

A visitor






No comments:

Post a Comment